Do You Have A Commercial Roofing Project We Can Help With?
Benefits of Metal Roofing
When comparing different materials, such as wood, concrete, metal, plastic, or glass, metal stands out as the strongest and most durable. If properly installed, metal roofing is designed to withstand:
- High winds
- Debris (leaves, sticks, etc.)
- Rodents and other animals
Metal roofing is a perfect example of environmentally friendly construction material. First, most metals are infinitely recyclable, meaning that any leftover metal, old panels, or manufactured excess scraps can be recycled and used in future products. These metal products can either come as pre-consumer or post-consumer recycled content:
- Pre-consumer recycled materials is scrap content during the manufacturing stage that has been recycled for future use.
- Post-consumer recycled materials is excess materials that have already been in the possession of a consumer at one point in time and have been recycled for reuse.
Metal Roofing Types and Options
Types of Material
Types of Metal Panel Seams
- Snap-lock—Metal panels carefully rollformed with specific panel profile edges that snap together and require no hand or mechanical seaming during installation. Snap-lock seams are normally more popular in the roofing industry because they are designed to protect against the elements while making installation easier on the contractor.
- Mechanical Seam—Mechanically seamed panels are rollformed with specific edges that line up with each other on the roof. Once the two edges are put joined, a hand or mechanical seamer is used to bend the edges and lock the panels together.
- Tee Panel—A type of standing seam where two panel edges meet and are connected at the top by a cap, which is then mechanically seamed in place to lock the panels together. Once the seaming is finished, the top of the standing seam is in the shape of a “T”.
- Exposed Fastener Lap Seams—Exposed fastener lap seams are when the overlapping ends of the lap panels are fastened directly to the deck from the top of the panel.